Saturday 27 January 2018

Altered Box using Mix Media & Decoupage - Maansi Vaswani

Good Evening, 

It's so much fun to give a new look and life to an old object.  This is the basis for today's project and inspiration 

My husband has had this old box which he uses for keeping his watches, wallets and knickknacks.
It's something that has seen a lot of years and thus a bit worn and bent in areas.  Even though it's worn he just refuses to give it up. 


Watch Box


So I decided to alter this box using leather paper,  some decoupage and mix media.  

The lower part of the box has been reinforced with chipboard to give it more strength and has been covered with leather paper and pattern paper. Also, I have added a magnet with a washer as a closure for this box.  

On the inside of the lid, I have decoupaged a script pattern paper and then have decoupaged a variety of tissues to create a collage.  This collage represents his professional life as well as his interests. Thus it's a mix of a lot of tissues



Decoupage on the Lid


The lid of the box has been altered using mix media techniques.  As the box had fabric covering it - it already had some texture to it.  I added some more texture using stencils and modelling paste. 

I have used some cardboard and half pearls to create the look of the hull plates of a ship.  Added to that are many pieces of junk like nails, old keys and some buttons from his uniform. I have also added some metal and MDF and other embellishments from my DT kit and some seashells from my stash.  And my composition was complete. 


After applying black gesso to the entire surface,  I let it dry completely before starting to color it.  I have used paints in grey,  blue and gold in dry brushing technique. Also, have used sprays in blue and green to add to the effect.  

Finally, I have added Prima waxes in blue and purple in certain places to complete the look. 

The trim on the box lid is also black leather paper thus giving a nice finished look to the entire project. The project does have dimension, but not too much as this box will be used every day, and I did not want the embellishments to add too much weight or come off over a period of time.  

Here are some pics of the completed project 







A Closer Look



Here is the Complete project





Supplies used

Leather paper 
Pattern paper - Eno greetings 
German tissues
Mod podge 
Tacky tape 
Black gesso
Modelling Paste 
Stencil
Half pearls
Metal embellishments 
Sprays
Acrylic paint 
Metallic paint 
Prima waxes 
E6000
3D gloss gel

Hope you have enjoyed this transformation. Do let me know what you think. 

Maansi

No comments:

Post a Comment