Thursday 21 June 2018

Mix Media Tags - Winter blue By Maansi Vaswani

"Like life,  at times the journey is more important than the destination" 

Hello Crafters,

Maansi Vaswani here, with the new inspiration for you all.

I have lately become fascinated with the art of mix media.  The beauty of this craft form is the fact is there are no set rules.  And that is what makes it interesting.  

Having become a collector lately I have been collecting a lot of things that would usually be thrown away by us...  Bits of paper,  cloth tags, buttons,  tree bark,  bottle caps,  cheesecloth and god only knows what all... 

So when I was told to make a mix media project I had a wide variety of stuff to add and experiment with.   Considering that I was just planning to experiment I decided to do some mix media tags.  

As the summer approaches, I wanted to create something which would give an effect of winter... Cool,  wintery and shiny...  And here is what I have created.  



Image 1


These have been created in old clothes tag which we usually get when we buy clothes.  Most of the time we just cut these and throw it away. But I decided to use these as the base.  

I have painted these white with gesso and have added texture using modelling paste.  Once dry using folkart paint I have created a light blue wash. To this, I have added a bit of color using Memento inks.  

Once my background was ready, it was time to put to put the composition.  For this, I have used some ready made flowers as well as have created some handmade flowers.  

I have created layers using some gauze,  and mdf gears. To that, I have added some fused pearls on a string,  some pollen fillers,  the flowers and a few other pieces of MDF and some buttons and ends.  

Once my composition was ready I have applied white gesso on all the colored areas.  Then I have added the shades of blue using acrylic paints,  some moments inks and cosmic water color paints.  The cosmic paints added a bit of a shine to the entire project and thus added to the wintery feeling.  I kept working on the coloring until I achieved the effect I was looking for.  

Right in the end, I added a few dew drops to bring the project together.

I have created two different tags using almost the same techniques and embellishments.  Thus they are different but at the same time similar.  

Hope you like this inspiration. 

Here are some close-ups of the same.  

Image 2

Image 3



Supplies used

White gesso
Modelling paste
Folkart Acrylic paint 
Memento dew drop ink pads
Gauze
Buttons
Ready flowers
Flower making paper
Pollens
Pearls on a string
Cosmic water color paints
Dew drops 

Wishing you a wonderful day ahead 

Regards
Maansi Vaswani
Artfire Creations

4 comments: